I've decided to move my blog to a new site that offers a lot better layout. It is a great deal more user friendly for the reader and offers a lot more on the things you want to read. It is still being built but if you would like to check it out feel free to give it a look. RepRap Squad's New Site Here
Saturday, March 9, 2013
Once you get your RepRap finished and all dialed in. What is the first thing you should do? Besides yell out in victory, you should start by making a journal or diary of your prints. Include such important things as:
* # of parts printer has printed in its lifetime:
* Part Name: Plastic Color:
* Plastic type:
* Bed Temp:
* Extruder Temp:
* Print time:
* Layer Height:
* Quality of result:
* Notes for this print:
* Parts of printer that required tightening before/after print:
* And any other info you might find important.
I have a separate log for each printer and it comes in very handy. It also let's me track wear and tear on parts and estimate very closely on when certain things are about to ho out on my printer. I also use this log to estimate my reprap maintenance. If you keep track of the above info for every print; It makes running your bot effortless.
The next step after you've finished your RepRap is to grab a shoebox or Rubbermaid container and print out an extra set of parts for your RepRap. Focusing mostly on the smaller gears and then the larger gears. After that print any other parts you think you might need. That way your always set just in case something breaks and trust me it will eventually. I personally print an entire full set of parts for each RepRap. If I ever use a part or give it to someone in need I always print a new one right away and put it into the box. Doing this every time has saved me more times then not. So two words of advise, keep a print log and always print a replacement part set with your 1st print after your machine is dialed in.
Thanks for your time!
Monday, March 4, 2013
Sunday, March 3, 2013
I wanted to add some LED's to my RepRap but I couldn't decide a color or how to build them. So I figured why not have my cake and eat it too. I created a multicolored arrey of LED's. Colors included are yellow, red, blue and green. I still can't decide how I am going to set them up to turn on. I could use a switch but that's kind of boring. I'm debating on setting up patterns to run. One option is to have the LED's change color to coincide with bed or hot in temp. Blue for cold and red for hot. I could also use green as power on and yellow as a pilot light for active printing. I have it setup so I can runs multiple colors at the same time so I can mix colors as well. I kinda like making the LED's useful as well as aesthetics. I'm a multipurpose and multitasking kinda builder. I will update as the build comes along. I will be using an Arduino to run the patterns and temp settings for the lights.
UPDATE: March 6th 2013---»
I've been looking into all kinds of different LED setups online and I'm now debating if I should setup lighting patterns and other cool setup with my LED's. More then likely I will use my Arduino and charlieplexing so I can control as well as program individual LEDs. It will be fun to build my own programs. I'm not sure if I will dive into the setup I previously stated. The best part is the fact that I am learning a lot more than I had previously known about LEDs and programming them with my Arduino. I also decided to re-wire the LEDs so I can color code all the wiring according to placement and color. This will help a lot when it comes to hooking everything up as well as programming. I will make sure to add to this as decisions are made.
For one reason or another I recently lost the majority of my updated posts on my Printrbot Nintendo Edition build logs. There is also 3 separated entries which makes you as the reader have to jump around from entry to entry. So in order to make it easier for you guys, I am going to consolidate the separated entries into one full build log with photos from start to finish on the Printrbot Nintendo Edition build. I will post the updated log within the next few days so make sure to check back soon. Thanks.
Saturday, March 2, 2013
I am currently working on building my new version of the J-Head hot end. I will be making a few modifications, some of them being an detachable nozzle. I am going to mill down solid brass acorn nuts with various size nozzle holes. They will more than likely range from .25mm to .50mm. I will also add some threads to the brass heating block which will make for quick nozzle changes as well as easy cleaning and future modifications. I will initially build 2 hot ends that will be run on a Wades hinged cold end with an adapter plate. One adapter plate will be made from milled aluminium and the other from acrylic. Both of these will be ran through extensive tests and will be made using the best materials. After all testing is done I might offer a few for sale at a reasonable price. I am also thinking about making one 1.75mm and the other 3mm. I will be using the majority of the new J-Head designs and I will also post test results on this site. Eventually these hot ends will be tested with several different cold end and machine setups. The picture below will show the basic design I have chosen for this build. They will be build, tested and re-manufactured at a local machine shop. Make sure to check back for updates. They will also be using both the original and the new temp sensors and wire round resisters.